compost harvest

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I have had a worm compost for about 5 years. In that time, it has been loved and it has been ignored, but the worms have always been fed and they have always survived. Today I harvested my compost for the first time at the apartment. It really didn't take all that long and I have a large vinyl tablecloth that I use to work on so that I don't make a mess.

The harvest and re-fill took less than an hour to complete and if I keep feeding the worms and harvesting regularly, I can have a bounty of wonderfully rich compost for my plants.

If this all seems like a little bit beyond the scope of your knowledge, let me first direct you to the Worm Woman's site. She has written THE BOOK on worm composting called Worms Eat My Garbage.

    So here are a few basic Worm Composting Facts:

  • The worms used in a compost are called "Red Wriggler Worms" and though they can be found in your yard or garden, they rarely are.

  • Red Wrigglers can eat their weight in organic food waste (ie. fruit, vegetables, coffee/tea grinds, eggshells) per day (if my memory serves me correctly)

  • The worms use small granuals of sand in their gut to break down the food, creating compost

  • When properly maintained worm composts emit no scent and can be used in apartments, townhomes or other small areas

  • Worm composts do not require turning or aeration

  • Maintenance of a worm compost requires only regular feeding and regular harvesting


Composting is just another way to reduce waste...and I always feel better when I'm doing that.

Tags:////

0 comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web