The Engagement - The Family Argument

Thursday, June 29, 2006

A good friend of mine is getting married this weekend and as such she has been planning her wedding for the past few months.  As I chatted away about my annoyances with wedding planning she told me that her experience and those of everyone she had talked to led to to one important piece of insight.
You will have at least one major fight with the family. 
It will happen.
It is inevitable.
You will figure it out & it will pass.
As I mentioned previously, one could say that my dad is mildly disappointed that I will not be having a large "do" for my wedding.  In fact I nixed the idea of having the wedding at his golf course before he had a chance to argue his point.  We don't even golf and we just aren't interested.
 
About a week after the initial discussion my mom approached me about possibly having lunch out rather than having it catered to the house...Now I'm sure you can see where this is leading.  They almost had me completely convinced that it would be no hassle to get everyone loaded up and to the golf course for pictures and food and that miraculously J and I would still have time for some serious mid-day relaxation.
 
After some chatting with J, friends and the like, I am not entirely convinced things will be so easy.  Nor am I convinced that I want the hassle.  The golf course is definitely beautiful &  I want my dad to have his glory, pride and excitement and of course the opportunity to show-off for his friends - but he pretty much has free reign with the Open House.
 
What to do...What to do?!
I guess it's probably time to head back over to Mom's for another chat...Wish me Luck - I know Dad's been on her back.

0 comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web