Joe-ball

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

As a child, I remember driving down the road with my dad, on rainy fall afternoons and being flabbergasted by the number of people out on the soccer field. My dad would always make some comment about "Joe-ball" and then proceed to explain that he called it that, because ONLY stupid Joe's would want to play in such weather.

Combined with my general dislike of running, it's safe to say I never took a liking to soccer. I know it's great exercise and it's supposed to be great fun, but I've always remained adamant - soccer's not for me.

Over the past few years, my hubby has been trying to convince me to play with the girls from his group of friends - seems athleticism is enough to join the team. I've steadily ignored him over the past few years, but now I suddenly find myself at a desk job and in dire need of some regular (and fun) exercise. All of these factors combined with the fact that THE GIRLS actually asked me to play this year, and I think I may have convinced myself that yes in fact, I CAN do this and yes, I may just enjoy it.

I went to my first practice yesterday. There was only 5 of us and everyone was super helpful and supportive. As my husband promised, I seemed to pick things up at a reasonable speed and despite (or perhaps due to) the sweat I had a great time; granted it was only a 45 minute practice.

Now, I just have to register, buy some soccer socks and shin guards...oh yes and soccer cleats (apparently softball ones just won't do) all by Sunday. *blech* Fortunately, a girl on the team said she might be able to help me out with the cleats, at least for the first game.

Something new and something active - who would have ever thought that I might just look forward to soccer.

Mind-blowing.

0 comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web