Ear Candles

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Ear candles are long, skinny, hollow, wax covered pieces of material that you place in your ear and light on fire. The heat from the flame creates a vacuum in your ear and sucks out most of the dirt, grime, debris and grossness that can be found within our ears. I had heard--from a fair amount of people--that ear candling was both effective and soothing.

The whole idea has piqued my interest for quite some time, but I never managed to get my hands on a pair until recently. I was in a little health shop on Davie and when I asked the clerk she scooped up a bucket from its hiding place and I had my first set of ear candles.

A little bit of internet research later, and I was ready to try out this new experience. A helper is necessary for ear candling, so J and I decided to use one candle each and split it between both ears. I imagine the experience would have been better if we had used a whole candle per ear, perhaps next time.

As for the experience itself, it was very soothing to hear the crackle of the flame and feel the warmth of the fire within my ear. I'm certain that the calming presence of someone you love watching over you, keeping you safe from the flame made all the difference in the world.

Although pleasing, the sensations were mild, quite different than I had expected. Overall, I enjoyed the experience and found that although not significantly improved, my hearing seemed crisper, clearer, more pure if you will. I will definitely try again, and recommend ear candles to those whose interest is now piqued.

0 comments:

Diseño original por Open Media | Adaptación a Blogger por Blog and Web